Friday, January 26, 2007

never forget

auschwitz is crumbling. the Holocaust deniers would have you believe this is all made up by a bunch of paranoid jews.

i don't know anyone who survived the camps. i don't even know anyone who's parents/grandparents/great-grandparents survived. but we must never forget.

those who forget are destined to live history again.


Anonymous said...

You're right. No one should ever forget. Past mistakes should never be made again.

diann said...

We can never forget.

My husband's uncle survived Buchenwald and my father-in-law (twin of the uncle) was in the underground. Mother -in-law was able to leave Berlin before being sent to the camps.

This is still too close for them, and for me.

fillyjonk said...

I know someone who, although he and his family did not go to the camps, they had to hide out in the forest (and eat wild mushrooms and what other forest-plants they could find that were edible) until they could get out of Germany.

And I knew of someone in the town where I grew up, who had a number tattooed on her arm that she didn't like to talk about.

I find it hard to believe that people can deny it happened...too great a cloud of witnesses, I always thought. But those witnesses are slowly dying. I hope the "denyers" never win.

Kit said...

My opa was in a German prison camp and my oma has stories of trying to survive the bombings. They both got extremely nervous during a Kansas thunderstorm and were glad to get back to the Netherlands.

The Holocaust deniers are only a witness of how easy it is to rewrite history. But I wonder if it would be so easy if they would just talk to my oma. Or any of the other survivors.