Wednesday, September 07, 2005

mama mia!

ok, so i'm not italian. i am, however, the holder of not one, but TWO culinary degrees. so i think i can make tomato sauce. remember me saying i was due to be inundated with those lovely little 'maters? well, inundation has proceeded with full steam ahead. i picked 27 tomatoes yesterday, and tossed 5 more in the compost pile because i hadn't gotten to them in time.

so this afternoon, since i'd taken the time off VTO (and theyr'e hiring, how idiotic), i went to the store, bought stuff for the holy trinity, olive oil, and ice, and started saucing. i'm doing this the easy way. it's in my crock pot. and i still ahve 8 tomatoes left. and mark picked 3 from his patch this afternoon. sigh. he also picked some habaneros, so i'm thinking yellow and red tomato salsa (but only one habanero, those babys rock!). i've got plenty of onions, and mark did pick a pepper as well (how many peppers can mark pick?).

i have actually been knitting/crocheting. i started a toddler sweater with some woolspun, but that got frogged because i was running out of yarn, and wanted to do it all in the wool spun. it was turning into a not-toddler sweater. so, rip, and revamp. i am working on a hat with doublestranded lamb's pride worsted right now, in a forest green.

the count for a4a is 5 hats, 1 pr mittens, and 2 prs socks. i figure i'll knit until the 19th, wash, and ship on the 22nd. that should have them there by the 26th.

no pics of anything, sorry.

katrina is on everyone's minds, and i've read some pretty horrific stories. they're talking about sending 500 people here, and housing them in the civic auditorium until they find more permanent placement. i'm thinking that i will call the local red cross chapter, and the salvation army, and see what they need.

MEME #1
10 years ago I was:
going to school part-time, and working part-time, while caring for 4 children.

5 years ago I was:
working in a new job, and finding out that even if it was monday through friday with holidays off, foodservice is very hard work

One year ago i was:
working my fanny off to get my kids home, and not strangle my daughter because she waited until the very last minute to enroll in college.

Yesterday:
i was desperately trying to hang on because i was bored to tears because they took my knitting away at work, and called it "busy season"

5 snacks I enjoy:
chocolate, cheese, popcorn, dried fruit, & chocolate (i know, that's a repeat, but i really love chocolate!

5 songs I know all the words to:
My Immortal, Turn the Page, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Dust in the Wind (before the damned commericals started!) happy birthday

5 things I would do with 100 million dollars:
Retire. Find homes for at least 1000 people from the gulf coast. Build a compound in a remote part of the country, so i could have everyone leave me the hell alone. Travel around the world once. Buy a bar in the Bahamas that i could visit in the winter when the compound is snowed in.

5 places I would run away to:
jamaica, scotland, sweden, england, the us virgin islands

5 things I would never wear: a girdle(this was sheep shots, but i agree), big fur coats (i'm not against fur, i just think they look tacky), leather pants in public, halter tops, microminis

5 favorite tv shows:
Good Eats, Iron Chef America, Design on a Dime (i think, isn't this the one where they redo an entire room for $500?), Far Scape (bring it back!), Mail Call (i know, this one is odd man out, but lee ermy is a riot!)

5 bad habits: eat too much, don't exercise, don't get enough sleep, am very messy, spend way too much on yarn, needles, patterns, beads, buttons, fabric, etc. (these are all sheep shots, but they work for me as well, lol)

5 biggest joys: The Other Half, my children, the cats, having my home and family safe, and fiber.

5 favorite toys: yarn, books, my puter, my spinning wheel, my tape deck (i listen to lots of books on tape)

5 fictional characters I would date: wow, tough one!
Apollo from the original battlestar Galactica, Conor McLeod, Neo, the character that keanu reeves plays in a walk in the clouds, and leopold, from the movie kate & leopold.
5 people I tag to do this: I suspect I have come late to the party, again, so if you haven't done this one and want to, leave a comment and go for it!

i'm gonna do Erin's meme tomorrow, after SIT & KNIT AT STRING OF PURLS!

You might be a redneck if the first thing you say when you come out of a coma is "how's my dog?" (this is dedicated to gip gayle, whoever knows who this is should win a prize! hmmm, ok, you're on, the first one to get this wins a prize, i don't know waht yet, though, lol)
. . . your phone cord is a safety hazard.

Pattern of the day: Zig Zag Lace Tam. this is cute, but looks a tad bit useless.

Have a nice day, and donate.

No comments: